June 16-27, 2023
This service trip to Uganda will be led by Akasha Kirti in conjunction with Bright Water Foundation, a small non-profit that seeks to educate people globally about water impurities and water treatment. About 89,000 people per year get sick from water-related disease and about 3,000 people die from unsafe water each year in Uganda, most of them children.
As volunteers with this project, you will:
- Receive training on Ugandan culture and on our safe water program then plan, prepare, and teach lessons to a local group of Ugandans about water testing, treatment, and storage (with help!).This Ugandan group will then become the trainers for their communities.
- Travel with the training group into their local villages as they teach in schools and in homes.
- Meet with community leaders, district health and education leaders, and others.
- Your donation will go toward paying for the trip expenses as well as to support the program’s efforts to educate the village about clean water for a full year after we leave. I am not paid for this trip-I’m a volunteer too! Your donation will pay for the local training team to conduct trainings and for the water testing supplies they will need.
We will be visiting Entebbe, Kampala, Jinja, Kamuli, and doing the bulk of our work in a small village called Iyingo near Lake Kyoga in the eastern region.
Other Optional Activities:
- Visit to the Kagulu Hill Museum
- Visit Lake Kyoga
- Local hike in Kagulu
- Sunset cruise on the Nile River
- Visit local markets
- Visit Lake Victoria
- Souvenir shopping opportunity
- The option to extend your trip to do a safari in Murchison National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park, or Kidepo Valley National Park, go Mountain Gorilla or Chimpanzee trekking, visit the White Rhino Sanctuary, or visit Sipi Falls (among many other options). These are beyond the scope of this project but I will help you connect with people to help you make arrangements if you wish to extend your trip. I lived in Uganda for two years when I served in the Peace Corps and I did a lot of travel, so I know the country!
$2500 for 13 days
Included: lodging, meals, snacks, transportation, educational materials, Nile River cruise and other included excursions, tips, incidentals
Not Included: airfare, visa, vaccinations
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://brightwaterfoundation.org/ for more information. Please sign up early! This will enable us to find the cheapest airfare, make sure we get our visas and passports back in time, and get everyone trained. You can put a $500 deposit down to secure your spot.